Look Good, Feel Better
Look Good Feel Better is the only international cancer support charity providing practical support for women and teenagers struggling with the visible side effects of cancer treatment.
Self-esteem is important to all women, it just happens to be in sharper focus for those who have cancer. That’s the reason Look Good Feel Better exists. They have been helping to combat the visible side effects of cancer treatment for 20 years through free confidence-boosting skincare and make-up Workshops and Masterclasses across the UK.
The #Warpaint4Life campaign celebrates the power of beauty for all women everywhere. To feel confident, in control and empowered in life is every woman’s right and Look Good Feel Better exists to make sure that cancer doesn’t get to take that away.
“The vulnerability of being a cancer patient is far more extensive than you realise and being able to improve on that vulnerability by being more confident in your appearance has a huge impact.” Professor Hilary Thomas – Clinical Oncologist, Group Medical Director of Care UK & LGFB Beneficiary
The Look Good Feel Better free skincare and makeup Workshops and Masterclasses are held all over the UK for people undergoing treatment for any type of cancer. The two-hour sessions are led by trained beauty volunteers, who share tips and techniques to help with eyebrow and eyelash loss and changes to the skin.
“The whole experience was outstanding. It’s not just about a bit of makeup, it’s not vanity – it’s about control. It gives women the strength to fight this horrible disease.” Fiona, LGFB Beneficiary
Look Good Feel Better (LGFB) was formed in the UK 23 years ago, specifically to help women combat the visible side-effects of their cancer treatment. Our aim is to greatly increase women’s confidence and self-esteem at a very difficult time in their lives. The first Workshop was hosted in the CancerKin Centre at the Royal Free Hospital, London in 1994.
- Since launching, LGFB has helped over 147,000 women and teenagers face to face across the UK
- In 2016 we supported 17,500 women and teenagers through our Workshops and Masterclasses and many thousands more through our online and self-help materials
- The free skincare and makeup Workshops are held in 96 hospitals and cancer care centres across the UK
- Masterclasses enable LGFB to support women in community-based groups and areas not already offering our service, and we held more than 300 Masterclasses in 2016
- Over 2,500 volunteer beauty consultants work alongside LGFB
- Teenage Workshops were launched in 2001 and we held 70 of these tailored sessions in 2016
- LGFB needs more than 250,000 skincare and makeup products for gift bags and these are generously donated by the Beauty, Cosmetic and Fragrance Industry
- The #Warpaint4Life advertising campaign was created pro-bono by some of the industry’s top creatives and has appeared on donated space in shopping centres, billboards, magazines and newspapers. In 2015 it also won Marketing Campaign of the Year at the Third Sector Awards
- In 2009 we launched The LGFB Confidence Kit – an extensive self-help DVD and 48-page booklet designed to offer our support to people in their own homes
- A major research initiative highlighted that 97% of respondents felt more confident after attending an LGFB Workshop and this remained at 96% three months later (2,000 beneficiaries contacted)
- As the Beauty and Fragrance Industry’s flagship charity we work closely with more than 50 member companies and supporting brands
- The LGFB service is available in 26 countries worldwide and to date, they have collectively supported over 1.8 million people